January 9, 2012

Namaste - Realistically Contemporary

It is not surprising that with all the situations taking place around in the world for the past two years, unfolding events in many peoples lives have been causing financial havoc, lifestyle changes, standard of living differences, and ultimately yet not surprisingly: STRESS. I too have been affected by all this ridiculous mess, with what initially started out as a personal decision to take some time for reflection,  reorganization, and spending more time as a mom than a fancy white collar and pearls employee, that turned into a downward spiraling of loss of control due to the economic scenario.  Hindsight is always 20/20 so of course now that I look back, intending to take those initially 'planned' 12 months off to spend with my son before he started school, was a huge risk, but my and my son's timing was absolutely perfect that's why I took the leap of faith. But the world was ticking to a completely different stopwatch and I was soon to find out. So just like everyone else, I too had to learn to scramble and hustle in this new economic mumbo-jumbo that's been shamelessly going on for what seems like ages. It was so infuriating to say the least, to read in the New York Times that some suddenly poor people out there in 'the land of hope and dreams' America now don't have the money on hand to afford the regular sized packs of toilet paper sold at Walmart, and that toilet paper producers have had to re-package their lots with a smaller number of rolls per pack to make it more affordable, while apparently at the same time, the latest über designer high fashion staples are not only sold out, but have unprecedented waiting lists. The gap is clearly wider these days, leaving the hard working class infuriated, humiliated and quite honestly: insulted.

Unfortunately, this has been going on for quite a while, and global stress from worry has become chronic. Just turning the page in the newspaper or turning on the TV, gives me a shot of adrenaline from the latest headlines. Coincidentally enough though, alongside these events, there's also another silent movement going on in the world, one that's more calming and peaceful in nature, as it is focused on enlightenment, awakening to consciousness, and living in the present moment. Despite the fact that I'm very practical and realistic in nature and don't easily attract to anything that may sound overly esoteric, I personally think its perfect timing for all these new age theories to take place, because on really difficult days, one may realize after looking at their bank account, that the present moment is really all they have, REALLY. So yes, I find that these not so new but very popular theories do give a practically needed sense of fulfillment and richness, if not of the material kind, then of the spiritual kind. And hopefully, applying them long term, who knows maybe an internal shift may actually take place within each of us and ultimately society as a whole, so that when this whole economic turmoil will turn around, we will use our material riches in a more conscious manner, one that's less detrimental to the environment and to those around us, as we will hopefully be guided by love, and not by greed. Right. I can't help but to chuckle as I type out the last sentence picturing myself hugging the trees at my local park, as the realist in me totally senses a woo-woo tone to what I just wrote, but frankly, the truth of the matter is, that it is greed itself which got us to where we are in the first place, so we might as well try to operate from a different standpoint as a society and see where that takes us. And hey, if having our actions guided by love will bring us to a place of rainbows, butterflies and unicorns, so be it, as I'd take that any day over my current bank account balance.

Namaste *wink*

Followers