January 15, 2012

Myself +

Among my girlfriends, so far I'm the second one who has become a mother in the last decade. The first one who took the leap is used to the idea of a big family as she herself is one of three children, and went on to do the same. Now at 30 years old she is a proud mother of three beautiful kids. She is also what I call a hero. I'm reminded of that every time we talk on the phone, as focusing on a conversation while you also have three kids running around the house and remaining intact, is a superhero skill in itself. I have another friend who took the plunge and is now pregnant, and slowly getting accustomed to the rest of her life being herself + one. Or two. Or three. Or who knows...

Growing up, I have never ever seen myself as a 'mom' type of woman. I saw myself as being mothered, smothered, babied, and spoiled. That's as close as I got to a baby...by acting like one myself. But then one day, out of the blue, when I was at the top of my game in the single and fabulous lifestyle, I met a man that turned on the switch. And I say that because I truly think it has to be a switch. How can I go from solely focusing on Friday night drinks with co-workers, Saturday night dancing with friends, and Sunday laziness, to "Oh my God! Look how cuuuuuuute that baby is! I want one of those too!" every time I'd see a mom + walk by. Yes, of course I had turned definitely crazy. But that's what love does to you, it makes you lose your marbles and at the same time, provokes you to completely change your focus off of yourself alone, to yourself +. Its like you're oh so happy all of the sudden with who you are that you want more of it and just want to multiply that that feeling - because that's what love does, you love the object of your affection so much that you're also in love with who you've become when you love them. That's at least what happened to me: slowly but surely like a turtle, not only did this wonderful man turn me on, but he also turned my baby switch on. And in time, I became myself + one. For now. Who knows, maybe I will lose my marbles again at some point... *wink*

Followers